Canadian Census Data
1851 Census - Winchester, ON:
Frame house at con 9, lot 17 - 100 acres (50 acres under cultivation).
Michael Swertfeger, 50, farmer, Lutheran, and his wife Elizabeth, 51.
Children: Nelly, 24, spinster; Urias, 21, labourer; Harmon, 19, labourer; Jane, 17, spinster; Henry, 15, labourer; Samuel, 13; Nancy, 10.
Also in the household: Urias Aman, 73, labourer, born Germany, Presbyterian.
• On the adjoining property eldest son Frederick, his wife and her father have settled.
1861 Census - Dist 6, Winchester, ON:
Con 9, lot 17 - 97 acres (37 in wood).
Michael died in 1859. His widow, Elizabeth (Betsy), 60, shares the land with sons Urias, and his family, and Michael Jr, and his family.
• On the adjoining property, eldest son Frederick, and his family, reside, running a grocery from the farm.
1871 Census - Dist 3, Winchester, ON:
Con 8, lot 18.
Elizabeth, 71, lives with her youngest son Samuel, 30, farmer, and his family.
• Sons Frederick and Henry have died. Samuel married Henry's wife and raised Elmer, Henry's son.
• Daughters Maria and Jane each married a Shaver and live nearby.
• The other surviving siblings and their families — Michael Jr, Nelly, Urias, Harmon, and Nancy — moved the US in the late 1860s.